Find a Que joint.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mike Anderson's BBQ House

4 Stars

http://www.mikeandersonsbbq.com/

Found myself in this neck of the woods one day around 11 am and decided to try it out after being probed by a Yelp follower. Having driven past it a few couple times and noticing the lot usually pretty full, this could be for one of two things...it's location by the hospitals and downtown or it's pretty good. After reading reviews elsewhere I thought it may be a hit or miss but after my experience...I think Mike's doesn't get the credit it deserves. This will be a controversial comment but after my one experience at Pecan Lodge...Mike's was better. Keep in my mind...this is only one visit to Mike's and it was right before the lunch crowd therefore the product was ready to be served.

I chose the three meat plate which cost $12.50...not a bad deal. Double-breaded fried okra and slaw for the sides although all of their sides looked amazing. Also picked up the jalapeno bbq sauce. Using Old Hickory smokers out of Missouri and hickory wood...the brisket had a wonderful tasting bark on it with well rendered fat and a savory smoke flavor. Surprise, surprise. The sausage ordered was their hot, which is specially made for them, and had great taste as well. Two solid products thus far...let's see if they could pull off the Texas BBQ trifecta. Pork ribs were on par with the rest of the meal. Pink coloring from the smoke, texture was moist and soft, and the semi-sweet outer base hit the spot. One thing I enjoy when it comes to ribs is the ability to pull the meat off the bone and these fall into that category. The jalapeno bbq sauce was original and a great companion to the fried okra. I walked away satisfied with this decision. If they're consistent like that everyday...I'm not sure why they aren't getting discussed along with other DFW greats more often.

On the day I ate at Pecan Lodge, I wasn't impressed. It gets another opportunity before a review only because of it's stature. Doesn't seem fair but it was a bit after lunch and they had just ran out of sausage and this is my blog. I know that's not what anyone would expect me to say and I fall outside the massive crowds who drop to their knees for PL meat but from my comparison...I must give credit where credit is due. I'm ready for the tar and feathering but I'm sticking with my taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment