Find a Que joint.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

K D's Bar-B-Q

1 Star

http://kdsbarbq.com/

From all the BBQ reviews I'd read for joints between Midland/Odessa, KD's had some decent comments. I had tried Sam's in Midland and was thoroughly disappointed (asking if the ribs were St. Louis style cut and being answered West Texas style ribs...um?) so I hoped KD's could be that silver lining behind the West TX dust storms.

Located right off I-20 and pulling up to KD's...you will think you're about to enter a feed store. Due to the abscence of smoke outside and upon entering inside...it may just as well be a feed store. The inside is setup very cool and would be a great place to grab a couple beers and a couple ribs but nothing more than that.

The meat is displayed on the pit for you to choose when you walk in. I asked the kid manning the pit what kind of smoker they used...he didn't know. Another employee mentioned a big rotisserie kind. Good to know. I then asked if the sausage is handmade and it's from Ben E. Keith. Oh boy. Insert first note...Dear Ben E. Keith...stick to making crappy beer and not crappy sausage. The pit employee cut off what looked like a promising 1/4 lb. of burnt end brisket. I also ordered two ribs and asked what they used for rub...again, he didn't know. Amazing someone who mans the pit has no knowledge of their product. A bit inexcusable if you ask me and I'm no novice.

I bit into the jalapeno cheese sausage and (insert second note) Schoepf's BBQ (Belton, TX) I think Ben E. Keith stole your recipe...or rather I have a good idea who distributes your sausage too. Taste is too similar with the same overbearing amount of cheese oozing out. One bite and done on this. The brisket was next and it was great...if you prefer the crust to actually taste badly burned and hard. Also if you enjoy your meat being dry with no smoke. Overcooked with too much heat. The ribs were very good minus smoke. Rub was heavy on the pepper corn, salt and a sweet taste as well. I'm guessing maple and honey. There was actually pink in the rib meat, it was moist and did peel off the bone easily. The BBQ sauces, original and spicy delivered but not even these antidotes could make the meat easy to take down. Even their Ben E. Keith bread was dried out. I give up.

I feel sorry from within my deep fried heart for all those Yelp reviews who think KD's is 3,4, and 5 star worthy. I can only imagine the pain of being stuck in West Texas, counting tumbleweeds as they roll by and being stuck with overpriced below mediocre Que. For a BBQ joint who states "Getcha' some of this"...no thanks, I'd rather not. There's plenty of authentic taquerias down the road. Getcha' some tacos instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment