Find a Que joint.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lockhart Smokehouse

 

Updated: 5 Stars ( May 2013 )

www.lockhartsmokehouse.com

Finally making a return trip to Lockhart Smokehouse and having tried more joints around the state and the D/FW locale, I must give credit where credit is due. Unlike my previous visit and review, this time the ribs were absolutely perfect. You could pull the meat right off and warm your face from the heat hidden beneath. The fatty brisket was warm, moist and melted easily upon entering my pie hole. No need for forks or teeth. The lean brisket came apart with precision right along the fine lines of the meat. Both barks were well peppered and salted and the burnt ends ordered were so good it was unfair. If I had tear ducts, you would've witnessed my inconsolable crying of joy. Standing at the bar, with greasy hands covering my face whilst having a divine moment of Holy Beef. If overturning tables in celebratory fashion were allowed, tables overturned you would've found.

One amends that could be made was the time of day between both stops. My first visit was at 2 pm...this visit was right before noon. Should that matter? No, but it may have been a difference maker. The only hang-up I have (and I actually mentioned this in my first review but played the devil's advocate) are the prices. Because of the price complaints from others, I paid particular attention when ordering the meats. Had what I ordered been precisely cut and weighed, it should've come out to around $30 at most...but somehow, this meal wound up at $50. I ordered a 1/4 lb. of brisket (cost is $7.5/lb.) however, this somehow resulted in $10. I notice other joints making attempts to keep it as close as possible, usually within a dollar, and I would like to see Lockhart work on this. That being my only concern, between Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse...I'm going with Smokehouse. See below...happy rib face.

 
4 Stars ( Jan 2013 )

Lockhart Smokehouse has gained attention rather quickly for a few reasons. The association with Kreuz Market (hence the name Lockhart), being seen on BBQ Pitmaster's, and for being a solid Que joint in Dallas. It was time that I knocked this off my local list. Which has taken longer to complete than the statewide list.

We arrived around 2 pm, after the lunch rush though there was still a good crowd within. I was worried about the meat...would I get fresh being a bit later in the day or dry and tough? That was a chance I was willing to take. The theme inside is rustic Texas Que joint playing off the exposed brick décor you would find in Smitty's or Luling City Market. Heading past the bar to the ordering line you will see the wall of accolades and publication mentions, which is impressive considering it's existence of near 2 years.

The menu is self-explanatory, which helps the most amateur BBQ fan. If you're not sure, ask for a sample. They will oblige. We ordered 1/2 lb. of brisket with burnt ends, 3 ribs, one regular link, and deviled brisket eggs. Total came to about $30 which may be a bit pricey to some but hey...you pay to eat well. Go to Dickey's if you don't like it. No complaints. The staff which included Pit Guru, Will Fleischman, was very friendly. We were promised entertainment from the bartender. So that's right where we headed.

I quickly ignored making a trip to the sauce stand and dug into the sausage. It was perfect. Snapped well, was full within casing, didn't fall apart in your hand. Flavor delivered mild black pepper. Which was a bit opposite of La Barbecue's sausage, albeit great flavor for theirs as well. Luckily my friend hit the sauce stand and I'm glad she did. I did dip a couple bites of sausage into the sauce. A nice sweet, smoky, and peppered flavor. Not too thin and not too thick. I next dug into the rib. Salt and pepper were the right amount with peppercorn scattered about and it did come off the bone easily. Rib tips were still on and I found these to be a bit tough but the flavor was still solid. Occasionally I bit into a hint of something sweet...possible layer of honey? I'll need confirmation which means another couple ribs and the Pit Guru's secret. The brisket was moist but dryer than what I wanted but the burnt end flavor made amends. A lot of bark and nice smoke ring though. I could blame this as I worked backwards thus leaving the brisket exposed to room temperature and having time to dry. I could've ask for more fat. Next time, I'll try the clod. Deviled brisket eggs...speechless. The smoky flavor resonated well on all meat products.

All in all, I will return. I will recommend. Daniel, the bartender, a jolly fellow who doesn't mind talking jalapenos and stomach ulcers will keep you entertained as promised. I've been told he can dance on the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment