Find a Que joint.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Stanley's Famous Pit Bar-B-Q

5 Stars

Having never heard of Stanley's Famous Pit Bar-B-Q before I attended Meat Fight 2012...I went into this joint with no prior knowledge, no reviews read, and no word of mouth from anyone. Who were they? What are they known for? I don't fear the unknown but with BBQ...you're asking for indigestion problems if you're not careful. Pitmaster Nick Pencis was asked to judge Meat Fight, something must be right.

After Meat Fight I forgot about Stanley's or their location. I found myself in Tyler for business this past Wednesday. I just so happen to be driving along Beckham toward the hospitals and after scoping other Q joints and taco stands - I saw the neon sign of Stanley's. Almost like the rays of Heaven from a BBQ Jesus who lead me here and opened my eyes. I had a new purpose that day.

I arrived at 1:40 pm...folks were still coming in although the lines I have now read about weren't in existence. Thank ya BBQ Jesus for I had to head to Longview soon after. From outside appearance and interior, this place would fit in Austin or Dallas. John Lee Hooker's thump humming overhead with blues music posters and random stickers littered along the walls - perfect. Now would the meat match the atmosphere?

Yes.

By now anyone who reads these reviews are familiar with what I order...my standard so to speak. Quarter pound of brisket (fatty with bark) or burnt ends, 2 ribs and link of sausage. The sausage was the hot link. It was provided from the local meat market so I had faith. Good snap but nothing over the top special. Pretty indifferent about it although a good flavor. Next I decided to dissect the brisket. The fat was well rendered throughout thus providing a moist product. Moist is good. If not moist, you may have to use the sauce as a lube. I'm glad this wasn't the case. Brief explanation of bark is the coming together of the sugars, rub and protein from the meat while in the smoker. It essentially seals the juices. Lastly were the ribs. They were meaty and came covered with a sauce which I generally frown upon. I dug into these meaty morsels and had a "q-gasm". Heavenly. They were pink throughout and came off the bone with ease. Dry rubbed with this unique sauce that after research...no clue what goes in it. Hints of heat and sweetness. These were special.

It was a memorable experience. After I did my homework, come to find out...they've won best ribs in Texas within the last few years. A couple times. Stanley's has been around for a bit...but has apparently had a renaissance of sorts. It was good going into a place with no previous knowledge.

Five stars because the brisket and ribs made up for the generic sausage...throw in the blues music and you have a deal. Don't worry...I've some bad reviews to complete but I've hit a good streak this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment