Find a Que joint.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mac's Barbeque

3 Stars

Coming from south of Dallas today just after lunch and needed somewhere to belly up to. Decision was between Off the Bone and Mama Faye's. However Mac's was brought to my attention. I was told to order the chopped brisket/sausage sandwich...but I stick to my standard. Fortunately they had a three meat plate which came with two sides for $15. Not a bad deal in this economy.

Walking into this location of Mac's, which they've been here for 30-odd years and before Main Street off Exposition for some period as well...having been around since 1955. I walked in and back into the late 70's and early 80's. A bit of Dallas history hung on the faux wood panels in frames and the humming fluorescent lights were overshadowed by the bright sun outside. What I'm noticing more and more and subtly appreciating is the look inside majority of older Que joints. They just stopped giving a shit or never did on the appearance after the 80's.

I walked up to the counter and saw the brisket displayed under the heat lamp. Time was approximately 1 pm. Ordered my standard with slaw and okra. The plate delivered was promising. Jalapeno sausage first. This was juicy and had a nice little kick in it. All the reviews read claim this sausage to be made locally...not the case. A meat market in West, TX makes Mac's because "everyone around Dallas wants to do it how they want it done." Billy, the pitmaster, concocted this recipe and he said they do it to his specifications in West. Nicely done. The ribs had a shine and I couldn't wait to bite into them. Unfortunately, hardly a notice of smoke and somewhat under seasoned. There was just a well-rounded pork flavor and the meat came off easily. Lastly the chopped brisket. I don't exactly prefer my brisket chopped but that shouldn't deter from the flavor. Sadly enough, it reminded me of pot roast. There was no smoke and minimal crust. Luckily the sauce helped it down the hatch. Ah my heart hurt and this wasn't from the copious amounts of greasy meat I eat weekly. I was a bit let down. Longer in the smoker and this would've been perfect.

I spoke to Billy and looked at his built in smoker "the cremator" as he called it. I got a kick out of that. The smoker appeared to be done smoking and when he opened it, I didn't receive a big whiff of smoke. Hmmm. He had some brisket already smoking for the next day and I left baffled to why a lack of any smoke on the meats.

Billy and his wife are absolutely nice to speak with. The okra was spot on. On the fence between 2 and 3 stars...I chose 3 because I believe this could be done better. I would love to return to see if the meat at 11 am is different than 1 pm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment