Find a Que joint.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Meshack's Bar-Be-Que Shack

3 Stars

After eating unique BBQ at Mamma and Pappa B's, worse than mediocre BBQ at Michna's (both in Waco) and good but not great BBQ from Pecan Lodge this past week, I was cashed. There were no more BBQ cravings within me. I needed a breather. Until I was summoned by my cousin who equally knows a great deal about BBQ and has tackled most of the notable in the state.

Ok, fine...where to? Meshack's was the place. This got my attention as I've heard about it for years and its always been highly reveled for Dallas BBQ...a city not widely known for good meat.

A couple of pointers for new visitors. You walk up to a window and order and wait. No tables to sit down. Parking lot has either been under construction for 20 years or the completion doesn't really matter. Also, they are no longer cash only.

Three meat plate would work on this chilly day. One issue I had starting off was they soaked all meat in sauce. What the hell? I keep running into this issue...this isn't Memphis. I'll start making it a point to say no sauce. First timers...keep this in mind. Beside that, there was enough meat not covered in sauce I felt I could give a proper review. The sausage, which apparently is from Smokey Denmark's, had a spicier kick than some links I've had. It was actually very good and the ground meat within was packed well so when you open the link it doesn't crumble out. The ribs were well smoked, seasoned perfectly and came off the bone. I believe my cousin had some that weren't as easy but no major issue. So far so good. Next was fatty brisket with bark. Got the semi-fatty brisket...but where's the crust? So the meat was moist, pulled apart easily, semi-fatty but no bark. My cousin had a bit more crust on his but nothing consistent. Next major issue...no smoky flavor. I had Pecan Lodge the day before and their smoky flavor was spot on as well as the bark amount. If only Meshack's brisket spent another hour or so in the smoker, this could remedy that issue. I typically don't do sides but I'm a sucker for potato salad and completely obliterated theirs.

All in all, a good experience. Be prepared to either eat in your car or on a tailgate. I will go back in hopes that the brisket will have more smoke. Do yourself a favor and stand next to the ventilator from the wood burning furnace and inhale. Smelling like smoke, you may have a tough time keeping the honeys off ya...especially the thick ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment