Find a Que joint.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

3 Stacks Smoke and Taphouse

5 Stars

http://www.3stacksbbq.com/

I ventured into 3 Stacks a couple days before it open to get the low down. Not only was 3 Stacks going to focus on BBQ with the three J&R smokers...it was going to celebrate craft beer as well having a heavy dose of local. There isn't another BBQ restaurant in the Plano/Frisco area making an attempt to do this so I welcomed the idea.

Now that it had been open for over a week and reading through some half-witted Yelp reviews, it was time I stepped foot into this building. It was a rainy, cold and windy day but the smell of smoke carried in the air. Walking up to the building you will see the stacks of Mesquite and Hickory wood to your left and an inviting patio to your right. When you set foot in here, you will notice the ordering line will be to your left with a large man wearing a cowboy hat directing his team. This gentleman is Mr. Trace Arnold aka "The Rib Whisperer". You may have seen him on the History Channel hauling around an 18 wheeler transformed into the "World's Largest Ultimate Smoker Grill". This guy is no frills about the meat having cooked for some worldly known clientele.

I ordered my standard which each individual part was wrapped in foil. He made sure what I ordered was correct unlike the Sonny Bryan's in Lovefield where the request for bark fell flat. He mentioned that lunch specials and meat plates were coming soon but right now all orders were by the pound. You will find a line of servers behind you ready to deal out a wide array of sides. Jalapeno corn bread, cheesy corn bake, 6 cheese mac and cheese and green bean casserole were ordered between a colleague and I.

I snapped the jalapeno cheese link and it wasn't bad at all. The amount of cheese within mixed well with the red pepper flakes and diced jalapeno. It surrendered a nice spiced kick. I was told they're handmade on location. The brisket was spot on. The bark had one of the better tastes I've had and the meat was moist with a smokiness which was not overbearing though still present. The bark had a sweetness to it as well. Possibly maple, honey, coffee, cayenne and paprika? I found that similar flavor on the ribs but with the flavor hitting differently. The first two ribs weren't as meaty as I would've liked but that didn't take away from the flavor as they were far above the average. Well rendered, pink coloring, fall off the bone easy. After a welcoming visit by a few servers, the manager, and Trace...I was offered two more ribs with their plum chipotle sauce on them. The cayenne and paparika on the backside were more pronounced as the plum chipotle sauce on the meaty side married all flavors well. The sides were all very fresh and can be shared amongst two. Overall I was well pleased but a bit more smoke wouldn't hurt either.

I'm absolutely thrilled to have a great BBQ joint in my backyard. With great meat, great service and a Texas theme, I look forward to 3 Stacks providing me with a couple hours of Hill Country solitude while living in the suburbs. Luckily it rests away from Preston Road and the classy Hooter's next door. I hope this consistency is maintained for every customer with every visit...as I will be a returning customer with many more visits.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/half-wit

      Delete
    2. Then why the question? Do you have a place you sell at?

      Delete
  2. These guys are awesome and the food is amazing, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make a return trip! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. BBQ Terrorist - so glad I found your blog. Awesome postings. Will have to try out 3Stacks. By the way, if you are ever in Chicago, try out Smoque. Good joint with great food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem...I try to write reviews with a twist! I've been meaning to make a return trip to Chicago for a Cubs game. I'll definitely keep Smoque in mind!

      Delete