Find a Que joint.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew

5 Stars

Stiles Switch was brought to my attention back in December when I was in Austin but opted with La BBQ. Well I wouldn't turn down Stiles this time. It was a bit after 8 pm and going to this place on North Lamar was out of the way from my hotel but I was hungry and they were open late. I had done my research on them and some early reviews were shaky but it seemed that over time...the reviews became better as the negative words did not fall on deaf ears. Apparently repeat customers noticed the quality becoming better which I believe is a good sign for BBQ because as I've been told "great BBQ comes with great humility."

Like a great majority of restaurants, cafes, and bars in Austin, it's in a throw back art deco styled building with the neon sign on the roof for all to see. Any time I walk up to a BBQ joint and smell that smoke, I get excited like a young kid the night before Christmas. Now what you receive the next day dictates the greatness of the holiday as kids are selfish punks and don't just enjoy family time. Joking. The inside of Stiles is pretty cool...wide open dining room, TV's, Austin music memorabilia decorating the walls as well as the Stiles Switch name history. It was also used as the pool hall in the film "Dazed and Confused."

I ordered my standard but chose the Stiles spice sausage as this was a fan favorite. For sides the corn casserole and slaw were calling my name. I sat down and became that creepy guy taking pictures of his food. Which still is weird to me but I'm guilty...obviously. I took the sausage in my hands and popped it. I've never had a link snap this well. The casing was perfect. Friends, this was one of the best sausages I've ate. The meat was ground well and packed tight with flakes of pepper throughout. I could've easily ate another. Next were the ribs which had a red ring and appeared well rendered. I bit in and did the annoying "oh dear Lord, this is good" noise to myself. Cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and maybe golden angel tears were used in the rub. Off the bone and moist. Next was the brisket. Solid amount of bark and ring. Fat was well rendered, nice texture, great smoke flavor although a very minor taste of roast but not enough to care. The sauce was original. It was a thinner sauce with heavy pepper and tomato flavors with onions were floating about. It was a compliment to meat that needed no help.

If you're ever asked "why do you eat so much BBQ?" Here is your answer. Finding good BBQ is kinda like women. Go through a lot of pain and let downs but when you find a gem like this...it's worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment