Find a Que joint.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lambert's Downtown Barbeque

5 Stars

I had my mind made up for Lambert's my first night in Austin but unfortunately a large group of people decided that a private party was more important than me getting my BBQ needs met. No loss because Stiles Switch fulfilled that emptiness.

The next day I found my way to Lambert's which is located in the restored Schneider Brothers historic building off 2nd street. I have a slight obsession with history and seeing historic buildings preserved so any chance to see the inside of one is a plus for me.

I sat at the bar and fortunately seated next to me was an employee who had just got off work and was enjoying a cold beer or three. Needless to say, great conversation ensued as he informed me of how the kitchen was run. I ordered the two meat plate with the Brown Sugar and Coffee rubbed natural brisket and the Maple and Coriander crusted natural pork ribs. Sides were baked mac and cheese and jicama and carrot slaw. I've been reading about coffee rubs being used on meat so I was excited to have the opportunity to try this. It did not disappoint. The fat was well rendered, moist throughout, with a great tasting bark. I dug into the ribs which delivered a burst of flavors. Notably the maple, a sweet orange glaze, crushed red pepper and coriander (which is cilantro).  Meat was tender, rendered, easy off the bone and the nice pink from the smoke. As reported by the employee, no salt or black pepper is used. The sides were excellent as well.

After this onslaught of flavor, I regretted not trying their homemade jalapeno link. Next time for sure. Their wood of choice is Oak and they know how to use it to maximize the taste. They do not have just one pitmaster but two executive chefs and a handful of sous chefs...all with unique culinary backgrounds who work together to ensure the quality is present. I'd say this concoction works well and I look forward to a return visit for their "fancy bbq".

No comments:

Post a Comment