Find a Que joint.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Railhead Smokehouse

3 Stars

Apparently "Life is too short to live in Dallas"...and eating as much BBQ as I have lately will also shorten your life. Either way after a pretty rough night before in Ft. Worth I needed a cure for the hangover.

Going to the place voted "Best in Ft. Worth" almost every year seemed a good place to start. I hear it's a great joint to drink as well so when you're drunk...anything generally will taste "the best". I swear Jack in the Box tacos are the best many late nights. My stomach disagrees the next day.

With the rodeo in full swing, Railhead was in no shortage of cowboy boots and hats. A little added authenticity to the wild west. After waiting in line and doing some people watching, it was time to order. The smell of smoke was promising but I've been caught up in that lie before. Ordered fatty and lean brisket, ribs, and a link. The sausage was pretty decent, nothing special. I was excited about the brisket as you can see it has a nice ring on it. The meat did come apart easily but didn't have the smoky flavor I would've expected. There was a roasty flavor and not too much crust on the outside. More smoke please guys. The ribs were the highlight here. While they weren't anything superbly special, they were just solid. More seasoning could've helped for sure. They were definitely well rendered though.

Overall, it was good across the board although more smoke for all the meat and if only the brisket had less of a roast flavor. A few bites hinted at it's potential but as far as the best in FTW...maybe I need to have a few schooners first next time. A few more tweeks here or there and it could've had a fourth star but being in business for 20 years means more than an additional star from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment