Find a Que joint.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kenny's Smoke House


Update: No movement (Feb. 2013)

After great customer service, I came back to Kenny's to try again. Unfortunately the brisket had slipped compared to my first visit and unfortunately the ribs had been drowned in sauce. Let the meat speak for itself guys. I could tell a difference in texture on the ribs had I only been able to try them naked.

3 Stars

After reading most of the froo-froo reviews about this and that...let's get serious here. To the meat of the thing. I walked into Kenny's on a Friday afternoon of their opening week to get a menu. I was told "they're the best in Texas". Speaking locally, I said how about Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, and Meshack's. The reply "oh we rival any of them". Hold those horses.

Enough with the 5 stars people. It's good but not great. I stuck to the BBQ because hey...you wanna be a BBQ joint then that's what better take the cake. I've read once when BBQ restaurants have a plethora of other menu items, this can be questionable. Are they really concentrating on the meat? I understand they're at the Shops at Legacy and probably couldn't live on selling BBQ alone here...hence the seafood side of the menu.

The atmosphere was cool. Framed portraits of BBQ pits from around the state. Blues music was playing over head. A healthy lunch crowed ensued. I ordered the jalapeno cheese sausage for the appetizer. Of course it came with two sauces to dip, neither one being BBQ sauce. The sausage was confirmed to be Elgin Southside. It appeared to have stayed on a stove rather than a grill as it was served in an immeasurable amount of grease. Marbled and lean brisket were both ordered as well as the pork ribs (St. Louis style). I had them hold off on the sauce on the ribs.

The marbled brisket looked beautiful and this truly hit the nail on the head. The smoke flavor was on par with the amount of bark and rendered fat. So good. The lean brisket had a small ring, good bark but was a tad dry. Flavor still smoky. On to the ribs. The outer layer was dry enough the meat begin to harden. Maybe they were done with high heat. Or put in the oven for a bit. There was decent flavor, not much smoke, steaming hot under the dry outer layer and did come off the bone. Looks like only salt and pepper used.

Since sides come with meals, I'll hit this fast and hard. The Gouda Mac and Cheese was over salted and of course gouda cheese is very sharp anyhow. Bit overwhelming. Coleslaw was good and what I'd expect. Bread pudding and Henry's ice cream (Plano, TX local) hit the spot.

They've been open a week. I'll give them that. But for two employees who I presume are unfamiliar with BBQ to say you're the best in the state and could rival DFW notables...don't get a hitch in your giddy-up too early. I'll be back to try again.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: After great customer service, I came back to Kenny's to try again. Unfortunately the brisket had slipped compared to my first visit and unfortunately the ribs had been drowned in sauce. Let the meat speak for itself guys. I could tell a difference in texture on the ribs had I only been able to try them naked.

    ReplyDelete