Find a Que joint.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Off the Bone Barbeque

4 Stars

http://www.offthebonebarbeque.com

For years this place found on the industrial stretch of South Lamar has caught my eye. Not only because of the BBQ but because of it's home. Located in what appears to be an old gas station or possible corner store of an era gone by, you can't find too many nostalgic buildings still occupied (if Dallas hasn't torn them down yet). After deciding to begin work on South Dallas BBQ joints choosing Off the Bone wasn't a difficult decision at all.

A heavy drift of pecan smoke flowed through the air and I had arrived right before others so the expectations were high. Off the Bone has been voted "Best in Dallas" so this added to the allure. Framed pictures inside note the famous who have entered this joint throughout the years of it's existence. Walking into the ordering counter you will notice employees to your right prepping food and tucked behind them a J&R smoker.

After being inquisitive about the menu you may want to watch out on the pricing. I initially asked for my standard of a three meat plate with nothing more. This came to a whopping $20 plus dollars. How so? Well they were charging me sandwich meat prices and this would've been without sides. Ok let's back the word train up and start again. I asked about the sausage to see if this would be worth it and bingo...Hillshire Farms. Nope. Ok scratch that order and I'll take the two meat combo with ribs, lean brisket with bark and minimal fat (trying to watch my health now) and the Summer Cool Cole Slaw and Southern Potato Salad. I failed to make sure sauce was on the side.

The plate was delivered and as you notice above they do serve sauce on it. Fortunately for me there was enough naked meat that I could make a substantial judgment on the brisket. The meat was outstanding. It was tender, moist enough with minimal fat, crust was perfect and the pecan smoked flavor sealed the deal. I quickly began scraping off the remaining sauce. The ribs met the same unfortunate fate with a sauce bath as well. I worked my way around it and found rather pleasant tasting ribs minus the pecan smoke flavoring. With hints of cayenne and pepper the rib meat came off with a slight tug and melted in my mouth. Both sides were among the best I've came across.

On the fence of 3 and 4 stars I opted with 4. I'm beginning to realize that just because ribs don't have bark or the smokey flavor everyone thinks should exist doesn't mean they suck. Stanley's Famous has won best ribs in Texas before and they're just damn good ribs. You won't find a heavy smoke flavor to them or a sweet sticky crust. Off the Bone's ribs are done their way like it or not. The brisket rivaled Pecan Lodge on this day.

I want to challenge Off the Bone. First, please look into local handmade sausage and ditch the Hillshire Farm. This could separate you from many others. You have the quality product needed which brings me to my second request. Serve the sauce on the side. Let the meat stand on it's own and there will be no dissatisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment