Find a Que joint.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The State Line Bar-B-Q

1 Stars

I wish I could start out this review with an audible of my laughter. Or an audible that I should've turned my car around and headed to Rosa's Cantina nearby. Instead I'll just say this mess has made me consider a new rating..."zero stars - cavity search by the Border Patrol would be more enjoyable."

What makes me sad is when I post a picture of BBQ like this and it receives likes on Facebook or Instagram and I have to comment that no, this deserves a "dislike". The best part about The State Line is the parking lot is in Texas but the restaurant is in New Mexico. Oh and it has a killer patio. That's all. Ok...and the liquor store next door and an adult video store as well (if you're into that). Basically it's a perverted BBQ loving alcoholic's dream...minus the good BBQ. Almost stereotyped myself with that line.

I strolled into this place which is in the Austin based County Line family and sat at the bar. I ordered the three meat plate which is served with beans, slaw, potato salad and their homemade bread. When ordering the meat I asked if the sausage was made in house and the answer I received "It's Earl Campbell. He was a good running back so I'm sure it's good." Cue the laughter. Well okay I can buy that at Kroger. I requested the ribs, pulled pork and fatty brisket with as much bark as possible. Exact words. Now what I ordered and what I was served are two different things.

After some research from the menu, I learned the sausage is a special recipe made for them. I spoke to the Manager (who was very friendly and accommodating as well as the other staff) and he hooked me up with their sausage...which actually is Eddy sausage. The ribs were a-ok. The brisket was delivered as pictured above. Not one inkling of bark. And when I pointed it out to the bartender...he said he verbally told the cutter but instead of replacing it or asking if I wanted it replaced...I got nothing. Stuck with nasty, smoke-less and bark-less brisket. The wood used is white oak in a Southern Pride smoker from Tennessee. Maybe they forgot to use the white oak that day. Pulled pork actually showed signs of life. It wasn't bad. 1 star.

When the bartender asked how I would rate their BBQ...I answered 2 maybe 3 stars but probably 2 stars. He replied "that's not bad" and I said "yeah it really is". I can't even finish this review. It's too painful. Although...their bread was awesome! That should be the only star here. Cavity search anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment