Find a Que joint.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pizzitola's Pit Style Barbcue

3 Stars

http://pizzitolas.com/index.html

This review is long over due as this experience was the 2nd BBQ spot of the day while on business in Houston back in December. After I hightailed it to visit San Jacinto then shot over to Saint Arnold Brewery for a tour. Nice little day trip in the books.

My first spot of the day was Virgie's (and I'll get to that later) and this was my second. I would've loved to hit up Gatlin's but I made an executive decision based on a couple reasons. First, they've been around since 1935 and have an open pit. Second, it was on my way to San Jacinto. Thirdly, I wanted to try the famous ribs. I'd say that's pretty reasonable thinking.

This place was packed and even though it was I still was given very nice treatment as a customer. I sat down and ordered the three meat sampler plate. Nothing else. Atkin's diet only on this beautiful Houston day. Wanting to see what all the hype was about I immediately grabbed a rib. My Lord this bite was perfect. With a wonderful mix of salt and pepper the rub needed no other seasonings or baste. They may use something else but I was too busy cleaning the meat off the bone. One may have thought I had some bath salts running through my system. It wasn't a pretty sight. Next up to plate...the link. Unfortunately it was served cut therefore I didn't have the ability to snap it. It was spicy and very good though I'd like to have more smoke with it. Next up was the brisket...unfortunately served chopped and non-fatty. This was before I decided that I should always go for fatty because the enhanced juice and flavors. Plus not a fan of chopped style. My mistake. Unfortunately this taste much like pot roast. It was a bit dry too. After having stellar brisket at Virgie's...this was a let down.

All in all...I would love to return in hopes the brisket would be what I want it to be for a fourth star. The atmosphere inside...throw back to Texas and you can't go wrong with that. Anyone making a trip to Houston do yourself a favor and visit a Houston institute since 1935.

No comments:

Post a Comment