Find a Que joint.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lumpkin's Barbeque

3 Stars

The only BBQ I ate while living in the beautiful state of Mississippi...in the capitol city of Jackson. I had heard of Lumpkin's many times more than other local BBQ joints so it was time to hit it up. We arrived after the lunch crowd had passed. I was a bit worried because it was set up buffet style, under heat lamps...but here's hoping it's still fresh since the lunch hour just ended.

The brisket was a mix of lean and fatty and there was crust located about. This brisket had a good flavor, no as much smoke as I'd hoped but was rather acceptable. The ribs were rather good, nothing fancy about them. Minimal work to get the meat off and again not too heavy on the smoke. The sauce was pretty good, unfortunately I cannot remember the specifics but I do remember it being above average. Sausage was not to be seen on this day so I dug into some gizzards...which were nothing more than gizzards to me. I don't even know what a gizzard is suppose to taste like! The fried green tomatoes and mac and cheese were pretty tasty. It's soul food and it's pretty hard to mess that up in Mississippi.

There were several BBQ joints in and around Jackson and I do wish I'd taken advantage of this more often than not. I regret not making that trip down to The Shed in Ocean Springs. Maybe another time...

I did however find some of the best BBQ I've ever tasted in New Orleans...The Joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment